Road to Wembley 17/18: 2nd Qualifying Round

AFC Sudbury 3-0 Chipstead

16′ Clarke
48′ Mills
87′ Allen
Attendance: 169

How they got here:
AFC Sudbury (Level 8 & My Journey)
Preliminary Round – Sudbury 4-0 Aveley, Saturday 19th August
First Qualifying Round – Sudbury 1-1 Mildenhall, Saturday 2nd September
First Qualifying Round replay – Mildenhall 2-4 Sudbury, Tuesday 5th September

Chipstead (Level 8)
Preliminary Round – Chipstead 2-0 Horley, Saturday 19th August
First Qualifying Round – Littlehampton 2-2 Chipstead, Sunday 3rd September
First Qualifying round replay – Chipstead 4-0 Littlehampton, Tuesday 5th September

The Journey

Extra Preliminary Round – Framlingham Town 0-0 Wadham Lodge – 05/08/2017
Extra Preliminary Round Replay – Wadham Lodge 1-3 Framlingham Town – 09/08/2017
Preliminary Round – Framlingham Town 0-1 Mildenhall Town – 19/08/2017
First Qualifying Round – AFC Sudbury 1-1 Mildenhall Town – 02/09/2017
First Qualifying Round replay – Mildenhall Town 2-4 AFC Sudbury – 05/09/2017
Second Qualifying Round – AFC Sudbury 3-0 Chipstead – 16/09/2017

AFC Sudbury became the first team to win 2 FA Cup ties on the bounce in my 2017-18 Journey with their 3-0 win at home to Chipstead.

I arrived at the ground at around 13:30 and was still perplexed by the rurality of the Kings Marsh stadium. The car park was fairly quiet at this time, with perhaps most fans disillusioned by the club’s decision to sack their manager, Jamie Godbold, on Tuesday evening. Godbold became the first manager in the Club’s history to lead them to Level 7 of English Football (Bostik Premier). Either that, or perhaps some ‘fans’ had found the prospect of Ipswich Town v Bolton Wanderers more appealing.

Sudbury kicked off the match in the yellow and blue kit kicking right to left with Chipstead in all red, kicking in the opposite direction.


The game had a bitty start with neither side able to keep hold of possession for too long. The first shot of the game came in the 5th minute from Chipstead but was well wide.

On 10′ a Sudbury corner is taken by Dave Cowley and the Chipstead keeper flaps at the ball, remarkably the ball is cleared away from danger. However, a minute later at the other end, a back back pass by Julian Smith of Sudbury to their keeper nearly leaves the Chipstead keeper one-one-one, fortunately the keeper arrives to clear.

After a good spell of pressure, Sudbury finally take the lead. The club captain and record appearance holder, Sam Clarke is there to head home after a decent cross.

AFC Sudbury 1-0 Chipstead

On 22′ Sudbury ramp up the pressure and Tev Allen has a great chance to make it 2-0. The home side are dangerous on the counter and Chipstead are offering very little, but with the game still 1-0 there is still a chance for the away side.
Chipstead did gain possession and had a few half chances before Half-time, however Sudbury had enough to see off the away side before the break.

HALF TIME: Sudbury 1-0 Chipstead

The game restarted and Sudbury sealed the result within the first 3 minutes of the Second half. A through ball to Adam Mills was looped over the goalkeeper from 30 yards into the top right hand corner. The goal was surely a contender for goal of the round and Mills now has 4 in the FA Cup this season.

The goal effectively killed the game off and it was now difficult to see Chipstead scoring 1 let alone 2.

AFC Sudbury 2-0 Chipstead

On 67′ Tev Allen was ruled out for offside, the lively winger had been impressive all game.

Sudbury were now happy to see the game out with Chipstead creating half-chances but nothing clinical. However, on 87′ Allen sealed it for Sudbury and got the goal he deserved.


Sudbury march onto the 3rd Qualifying Round on Saturday 30th September. Despite their managerial woes, given their performances in this competition, you would have to fancy the yellows again if they receive a favourable tie at home.

Our thanks to Oliver Ward. Follow him on twitter and check out his blog!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *